The Internet, It's here and I am going to use it for my own selfish need. Take that in your eye popular media

Monday, October 09, 2006

More of The Bang


More of The Bang
Originally uploaded by thorner.
Spent some more time working on the sculpture. I guess the reason my instructors don't tell me important metallurgy things is because it is supposed to help in the development of art, or they are just lackadaisical towards the technics. Be that as it may, I learnt that you can only heat up a piece of metal until it becomes brittle and breaks. Then you are only left with one course of action, heat it up again, braze it together, and hope no one hits it very hard. I believe that there are no more then 3 joints like that on my sculpture so if you ever get to touch it, please, please don't touch it very hard.

In an other note, I finally broke down bought a pre-amp and got my father's record player working. It truly is the premier decision of my weekend owing to the fact that along with the record player came a large number of records. Most of which are from around the 60s and 70s. a large part of them falling in to the blue or blue/country genre.

In all probability this has made my hate for radio even more immense. As I sit here writing the blog i am listening to "The Butterfield Blues Band" which is a superb blue band that thanks to the 60s and 70s radio that I have listened to in the past, had no idea existed (excuse me while i flip it onto the "B" side). I am positive that many people before me have come out on the internet and declared their distaste for radio, and how it does not matter what station, genre, and even decade of music you are listing to it just that specific top 40.

I reckon that as long as the RIAA does not screw with out digital music anymore that the internet will make it far more effortless to discover new music (That is if the stuff I want to hear is in the digital format). And there are compilation CD swapping site out there. Lots of ways for people to get exposed. But for now I am going about it in a different way.

To quote Timothy Leary, I have now "turned on, tuned in, and dropped out." My new music is coming to me in the form of pressed plastics from my father and many other fathers' past (those record from the thrift stores). That is the way it is for now and I am enjoying it. Not to mention, the records do sound better.

Long live analog!
Posted by Toddokun :: 9:27 PM ::

Post a Comment

Comments:2

---------------------------------